Homework is often a revision of what is covered in class. As well as regular weekly homework, your child may have assessments such as assignments or projects with due dates.
A key to success is being organised. To avoid Thursday night meltdowns about incomplete homework, read our homework tips.
Tips for all ages
These tips are relevant for all students Kindergarten to Year 12.
- Ask your child about their homework, know what they are learning about and when assignments are due.
- Use our term assessment planner (DOCX 53.57KB) to record when assessments and exams are scheduled so you can help your child prepare in advance. Make to-do lists to spread out the workload.
- Get into a routine of doing homework at a set time, ideally a little each day.
- Have a set place where the kids can do their homework, with the equipment they’ll need:
- pens and pencils
- scrap paper
- printing paper
- computer and internet access
- a printer.
- Turn mobiles to aeroplane mode or off so there are no disruptions.
- If there’s no set homework, encourage your child to do some reading. For younger children, it’s great for them to read aloud to you. For older kids, ask them to tell you about what they have been reading.
- Don’t jump in and give answers. Homework is about helping kids become independent learners.
- Encourage your child to start assignments as soon as they receive them – this will reduce any night-before stress.
- Your child needs to do their own projects and assignments. There’s no point submitting work done by anyone other than the student. Teachers need to know what students can do independently.
- If your child is having difficulty with their homework, contact their class teacher for help.
- For help understanding terms used in English, visit English A to Z.
- For help understanding terms used in mathematics, visit Maths A to Z.
Marsden High School runs a free homework centre for all students, on Mondays and Thursdays, 3:15-4:30pm in the school library. It is designed to support student learning by offering teacher support in homework, research, assignments and subject specific assistance.
If you would like more information on Homework Hub, please contact Ms Blasutto or Ms Doan. If you would like your child to participate, complete and return the permission note (PDF 94KB).