In human society and its environment (HSIE), both subjects of history and geography are mandatory from Kindergarten to Year 10.
Students learn specific historical and geographical concepts and skills in history and geography. They also have an opportunity to learn more about people and the societies and environments in which they live through elective subjects in Years 7 to 10 (Stages 4 to 5).
A large number of individual subjects make up the key learning area of HSIE in which students:
- research, gather and analyse information
- question and make judgements
- write for a variety of purposes.
Our HSIE team offer a wide range of subjects and dedicated teachers who strive for perfection in the classroom to ensure an engaging and challenging learning environment focused on thinking.
- Geography Year 7 to 10
- Elective history Year 9 to 10
- Commerce Year 9 to 10
- Big history Year 9 to 10
- Ancient history
- Modern history
- Extension history
- Business studies
- Marine studies
- Senior study skills sessions run fortnightly after school.
- Interstate (alternating between Melbourne and Tasmania) and overseas (Italy, Turkey, France, Belgium) excursions.
- Mock trial (students in Years 9 to 11).
- Greening Marsden (Archer Creek clean-up / sustainability project).
- Boat show marine studies project.
- Gibberagong marine studies excursion.
- Junior archaeologists (archaeological pit site study).
- Geography fieldwork at Archer Creek.
- Society and Culture overnight excursion to Nan Tien Temple in Wollongong.
- Year 10 History gifted and talented Veteran's day / Remembrance day project.
- Year 10 History gifted and talented refugee in my neighbourhood excursion.